Thursday 12 September 2013

Stumpwork and a new Project

I mentioned stumpwork in my last post.  Wikipedia says: Stumpwork is a style of embroidery where the stitched figures are raised from the surface of the work to form a 3-dimensional effect. 

There are some great books on the subject. I have two: The Complete Book of Stumpwork Embroidery by Jane Nicholas, and Beginner's Guide to Stumpwork by Kay Dennis, and there are articles on the net as well.  Its just a question of finding a source that works for you.

One form of stumpwork uses wire edging to create a flexible, dimensional effect. 

Really effective for pansy petals.



Or for a hellebore or Christmas Rose.  

 
  
Another form of stumpwork is raised embroidery.  In this case a layer of needlelace is worked over a stitched base.  Attached at the sides and top, but open at the bottom to create the dimensionality. 
 



 
So the reason behind my ramblings on stumpwork, is that I have been using stumpwork to embroider a set of wings for my new project.



The wings are attached to a burgundy cat.




He is the first in a series of Cat Fairies.  He has silver grey eyes and spectacular stumpwork embroidered wings. 

I'm really pleased with how he turned out.


What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment