Sunday 13 October 2013

I missed the last open day at Amazing Graze Alpacas as it was my birthday weekend, so knowing that they were open to the public on Saturday October 10th I was determined to go.  I had been feeling rather poorly for a couple of days, nothing mega or tangible, but I have MS and sometimes I become overly fatigued, so it was with money in my pocket and appreciation for the sunny, 20 degree weather that I headed out.

I drove over to Stirling then headed up Highway 14.  I glanced to my left at a farm and thought that the cows looked a bit strange.  They were very grey and I haven't come across any breeds with that colouration.  Then I looked again.


... and then I saw the name of the farm.  Ontario Water Buffalo Company.  Duh!  Water Buffalo!  I should have whipped my camera out, but this is a photo from the website of the Ontario Water Buffalo Company.  The area I live in really is wonderfully diverse.  There is an annual Water Buffalo Food Fest in Stirling-Rawdon, this year it was in early September and next year I'm definitely going. 

So I drove a short way on and came to Sine Road, and fell in love.

 
They are soooo gorgeous.

 
I love this face, and his colouring which owner Marj calls pralines and cream.
 

Steven the other owner of this wonderful enterprise told me that alpacas grow to about 180lbs about half the size of llamas.  Alpacas were not used as pack animals because of their small size, and their fibre, being so much finer than that of llamas was reserved for the Incan royalty.  The babies are called crias until they are weaned at 6 months. and their fibre is even softer.


My money was burning a hole in my pocket, so I had a great time cruising the produce displayed in the barn.  I wish I were a better knitter because they have some fabulous spun yarn, maybe another time when I've had a chance to work on my knitting.  In the meantime there were plenty of other things more relevant to my current work and below is my stash.
 


A pair of Canadian alpaca fibre socks.  My feet were feeling chilly this morning so I had to put them on.


The official line is that Alpaca fibre is truly elite - finer, softer, warmer and lighter than wool.  What I can tell you is that it is toasty warm.  My feet feel very comfortable - I am a convert. 

I also bought some roving.

 
How gorgeous is that!  Pralines and cream on the left and a dyed mix of blue, purple and green on the right.  Don't ask me what I'm going to make with them - I haven't a clue, but, I can tell you I am going to make an alpaca.  Its on the list now.  I'm not sure when I'll get around to it as I have a few things I want to have for the upcoming Christmas season.
 
Something I am enjoying making at the moment is mobiles.  I'm off to a One of a Kind show next Sunday in Maynooth Ontario so it will be interesting to see how well they are received, and then I have the Mama Market in Belleville on November 23rd.
 
The latest mobile is Weather, it has the sun in the middle, and a rainbow, snow cloud, rain cloud and thunder cloud spinning around it.
 




Have a happy day!
 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Alpacas are definitely cute, and I think I have sock envy! Lovely mobiles too.

    ReplyDelete